Tuesday, September 16, 2008

High School Days

My younger siblings were all posting things from High School & since most of them were still in elementary school when I was in high school, I thought I would do my own:

1. Did you date someone from your High School? ..Is this like the go to the movies sort of date or the will you "go out with me" kind of date? I think I am going to stick with the boyfriend definition. If that's the case, then I "dated" Michael Schake, Tony Ashcroft, & Josh Grossman. I don't think there was anyone else. Tiff can correct me if I am wrong!

2. What kind of car did you drive? The "Black Beater", a black 1981 Chevy Silverado truck (yes, Alan, Keri had it right) with a green tool box. Keri mentioned that it looked better dirty than clean & she wasn't kidding. It sounded like it had glass packs (anyone remember those?) & would take a few minutes to turn off. Some days I could make it in to the school before it finished it's rumbling. The power steering belt had been cut, so I had biceps of steel from turning that thing!

3. What was the most embarrassing moment of High School for you? It's a tossup. Either the (1) time that a tampon fell out of my locker. My friend, Destri Gleim, saved the day by kicking it down the hallway. That tampon floated the halls for the rest of the day. Or (2) the other embarrasing thing was the old truck. Even when we flooded the engine, it still would rumble for so long after we got out. Sometimes Tiff & I would run away from it (now that's inconspicuous, I know) or pretend like it wasn't our truck. We were dumb. What can I say? And lastly (3) the time my hair got caught in my carabiner while I rappelled at Big Rock. I had to hang on while another rope was dropped & help came. Lesson learned: always wear your hair in a pony tail when rappelling!

4. Were you a party animal? Not unless you count our rappelling outings. I think I went to a couple of parties, but I left before the good juice was brought out.

5. Were you considered a flirt? I don't think so, but who knows. I was accused of being the teacher's pet, but I think that I was just being smart. It is amazing what teachers will do for you & let you get away with if you just treat them respectfully! (Case in point, I don't know if I was ever not tardy my sophomore year, but my teacher knew that I was taking care of the horses, so he let it slide).

6. Were you in Band, Orchestra, or Choir? Much to my mom's disappointment, no.

7. Were you a nerd? I don't think so.

8. Were you on any Varsity teams? No.

9. Did you ever get suspended/expelled? I got after school suspension once, but I got out on good behavior. (Refer to #5 folks!) The suspension teacher (can't remember his name! What is it mom? He was your old art teacher) remembered my mom & spent the entire time talking to me. It seems like Tiffany, Michael Schake, Kyle Lincoln & one of Tiff's friends was also in there. Tiff & I got caught ditching seperately, but I don't remember getting in trouble. I think that my mom might have given us permission?

10. Can you still sing the fight song? Sorry guys, old age has got to me.

11. Who were your favorite teachers? I had a lot of good teachers. The ones that stand out: Ms. Brown (aka Sharon Curtain) for AP English & Mr. Cluff for Anat & Phys. I had 2 great seminary teachers, but can't remember their names!

12. Where did you sit during lunch? Near the gym entrance, next to the office.

13. School mascot? Broncos

14. Did you go to Homecoming? With whom? Yes, with Michael Schake.

15. If you could go back and do it again, would you? Are you kidding? No way! College was soooo much better!

16. What do you remember t about graduation? Sitting next to Josh Grossman, holding his hand (we were just good friends at the time), feeling so excited & then the all night party at the fitness center & breakfast at Village Inn.

17. Where did you go Senior Skip Day? I don't remember anything about it!

18. Were you in any clubs? A few, but the only one I can remember is NHS.

19. Have you gained some weight since then? Uggh. Of course this question has to come up! Yes! There are you happy?? :)

20. Who was your Prom Date? Michael Schake. I only went one year. We had fun, but I thought it was such a waste of money!

21. 10 year Reunion? Are you planning on going? Maybe I should rephrase the question. Did I go? I had planned on going, but didn't get an invite. Ooh. That hurts! I felt really bad, missed the drunken party & all. Too bad I was riding out of the Pine trailhead that day with my horse (Ginger?) crow hopping at every stupid rock & butterfly along the trail. I think my day was more fun. Will I go to my 20 year reunion? Probably not.

22. Looking back, what advice would you give yourself? Have fun. Have fun. Have fun. And don't be afraid to try new things. I didn't do a lot of things because I was afraid of looking stupid or failing. I should have just gone for it!

6 comments:

Nalene said...

That brings back some good memories...wait what am I saying. Those high school years were the beginning of the hardest years of my life, raising 8 teenagers!...but there really were some fun times and funny memories that I can laugh about now!

Unknown said...

Its funny thinking about it.. because you were in high school when I was in elementary school!! that makes me feel little.. :O(

Keri said...

I wasn't in elementary when you were high school. And I don't feel old, either. By the way, Bro. Heap was your seminary teacher. So, I already knew most of that stuff, but it was still fun to read. By the way, I don't think Mom had given you and Tiffany permission to ditch, but she didn't care about it, either. I'm guessing she was a bit annoyed at the school.

Dustin and Angie said...

You are wrong, it is a scottsdale, the silverado wasnt around in 81, if you doubt me i know were it is and will go get a picture of it for you.

Tiffany said...

Dustin and Alan are correct on the truck. I do love reading these. And Dixie and I are the same time so it does bring back memories, I remember a party we were both at, remember Donavan??

Dixie said...

that's the party I was thinking about. How old was he? He seemed too old to be hanging out with high school kids!