Our first stop?
Samana, Dominican Republic. Talk about a beautiful place!
The people were incredibly poor, often living in homes that could fit in my master bathroom!
We rented a taxi & made a 27 km trek over rutted roads, honking at everyone in site (Beep, Beep! Little 2 year old get out of the road! Honk! Honk! Watch out goats! Beep! Beeep! Hey dude, long time no see!) to the town of Las Galeras. Sorry, but my pictures of the town didn't work out! hmmmm...wonder why? :)

Jarrod, Shelly, Dixie, Josh at beach in Las Galeras
We boarded a sea taxi for a breathtaking 15 minute boat ride to Playa Rincon.
We were starving & somehow convinced Shelly to try the local cuisine. That was pretty surprising since she doesn't like fish & didn't want to chance getting sick. So, at a shack on the beach, we picked out some red snappers from a cooler & waited while they were grilled for us. Hands down, best fish I have EVER eaten, and this was unanimous! And talk about presentation!
Josh throwing the frisbee on Playa Rincon
This church is several hundred years old. It was dismantled in England & brought to the DR in the 1800's. Inside is all original.
Kids make a living "selling seashells". They were pretty lame, the seashells, not the kids, so we just gave the boy the rest of our pesos. Josh loved the chance to speak the lingo.
Dixie overlooking the Samana Bay Bridge after a long & fun day!
4 comments:
That nasty looking fish was really yummy!
I could go for some more right now! What do you say? Oh, except I just got a nasty IRS bill (thanks KERI!), so I had better not.
Mmm...I want some of that fish! Don't blame me for your IRS bill! You're the one raking in the moolah!
Food looks good!
Post a Comment