Sunday, August 17, 2008

Little Green & friends

The boys have a new hobby--catching things, mostly grasshoppers, frogs and bees mixed in with the occasional garden snake. As I sit at the computer, I am looking at two different jars filled with bees. So far no one has been stung, yet, although we have had quite a few insect casualties and one close call when Lander tripped on the stairs last night, shattering a jar that happened to contain one very mad bumblebee.

Just three days ago, I found six jars in random places around the house; back of the toilet, kitchen counter, on Lander's bed, on my bed...they were everywhere! Each jar was filled with as many grasshoppers as the boys could fit inside before they jumped out. I can still hear the clinks & clicks as they maneuvered in the jars. Talk about gross, but I have been learning. Do you know that we have grasshoppers that are grey, brown, yellow, green, and even striped with orange? Who knew? Here is a picture with Lander and the smallest grasshopper he found, named "Little Green". Jake didn't want his frog to die (the usual occurrence for frogs at our house), so he let this one go in the yard after he spent a full day mauling the thing. It is still probably hyperventilating (or maybe it went into an early hibernation) from the post traumatic stress imposed by excited boys trying to see how far a frog will jump.

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

I love baby frogs, like dad would bring home! They are so cute.

Unknown said...

We used to catch bees too...Grant and I. Looking back, I'm really not sure how we were able to catch things so well...I know I couldn't get them now. Grant eventually got stung and we left the bees alone.
That's kinda gross to just find jars of bugs all over the house though LOL.

Nalene said...

That is adorable...as long as it is at your house! I don't really mind the cute frog, but grasshoppers kind of gross me out. I have plenty here at our house if the boys want to hunt for them when they come down...but the jars stay outside!

Dustin and Angie said...

Brennden tries to do the same, but not with bees. I can only imagine the stress you go through making sure none of them escape.