How do you say good-bye to someone who has impacted your life more than anyone will ever know? That was our dilemma on Saturday as we said our "see you laters" to Gramps and watched him slip away.
In typical Gramps style, he fought it out, surprising everyone with his ability to keep going. He was taken off his medications & the tubes were removed from his throat. We expected him to be with us for an hour, two tops if we were lucky. But instead we got nearly 11 hours. It was a long day. What a gift!
Gramps was alert, although weak, and we were all able to be with him, to talk to him. He kept telling us how much he loved his family, even asking about Jake & Lander in the last moments before unconsciousness overtook him. I will never forget his "Hey, pal", his greeting each time Josh called his name. He made jokes, laughing at one point because he couldn't seem to die. He told us "Crazy, crazy. I can't die. They don't want me yet. Crazy, crazy." as he quietly chuckled. He was so calm & accepting.
He left this life in dignity and grace at 11:11 pm with his family at his side, sad to have him leave us, but grateful to have had the chance to love this great man.
We love you Gramps & miss you tons!
2 comments:
Of course you make my cry again. I sure hope you all are doing well. I'm continuing to pray for you.
I am sorry to hear of your loss. Josh I know how much your Gramps meant to you and I know you will miss him alot. I am so glad that you and your family got to be close to your grandparents and have this special relationship. Hang in there buddy!
Post a Comment