Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Faith of a Child

It's been one of those weeks, you know, of the crazy variety. It just so happened that all of the extra shifts that I had picked up to help pay for Lander's upcoming surgery were all scheduled for the same week. This means that mom has been gone, gone, gone.

The boys have done so well. They've scrubbed walls, chairs and cupboard doors among a host of other extra chores designed to keep them busy in my absense and to help them earn a bit of allowance. They've had wonderful days thanks to a few friends, including a couple of newts and a frog that they found.

They've set up disc golf courses in the house, slept in a tent in the basement and created battlegrounds for their Bionicals. They've caught flies for their new pets. They've played games. The've been happy.
Yesterday, Lander called me at work to tell me that, "I've had the most wonderful day mom!" Really? Thank you answers to a mother's prayers!

Today I came home after working this morning. We ate lunch and I prepared to take a nap so that I can work a night shift tonight. I haven't been excited about this day. Actually, I've really dreaded it; two trips to Idaho Falls so that I could run an IV infusion clinic and then back to the hospital for a night shift. All-in-all, a 19 hour work day. No kidding.


So, I sat down with the boys and told them that I needed to take a nap. They asked me to stay home, saying that they needed some "Mommy time". I couldn't agree more. So I told them that if they really want me home, that they should say a prayer about it.

Lander folded his arms, and before he could even finish praying, the phone rang.

Jake said, "maybe it's the hospital calling to tell you that you don't have to work!"

I told them that it was not the hospital because they never put me on call or low census me this early, so imagine my shock when that is exactly what happened!

The faith of a child is truly an amazing thing.


2 comments:

Nalene said...

That is awesome!!! I am happy for you on so many levels!

Christina said...

What a terrific story! That was just a great read. Thank you for sharing. You have some pretty special boys.