Wednesday, May 30, 2012

another week in the life of an under-acheiver

I was thinking about this week and all that I had accomplished. I've made jars and jars of jam and syrup. I've taken the boys on a vigorous hike with their friends. I've babysat for a friend.  I've worked a few hours. We've rearranged and dejunked. I even finished (mostly) planting my garden. And it's only Wednesday. As I was patting myself on my back and reflecting this week's accomplishments, I started thinking about that darn garden a.k.a. The Bane of my Existance (at least this week) and a sad reality hit. All of my "great" accomplishments were really quite mediocre and I thought, "why not blog about it?" That way, I will have documented proof of my own mediocrity. 

But then I realized, that no one wants to look at pictures of the garden that has been mostly weeded and mostly planted, I've already posted about our hike, and those jars of jam are already tucked away on the shelf. So I thought I would post pictures of our bedrooms instead. Grams gave us her old bedroom furniture (which is why we've been rearranging and dejunking). The dresser and headboard were purchased when she married Gramps in 1959. 

I wasn't sure if I really wanted this furniture. Josh was positively sure that he did, and I'm so glad. The pictures don't do it justice, but it looks really, really nice. I couldn't be more pleased.

I love the handles on the dresser. I don't love all of the electronics surrounding the dresser. I call them the "necessary evils".
I know that this picture could have been staged a bit better, but sigghhh....After all of the moving things around, it's nice not to have a bed piled high with crap that needs to be sorted. I love our headboard. It is so handy to hide all of our books and crap. Gramps made the side tables because they weren't able to purchase the matching pieces.
I had to work for a few hours today. I was very nervous about leaving the boys alone (over-protective, I know) so I left the boys with a list of chores to do to keep themselves busy, and (hopefully) out of trouble. Wow, they went above and beyond. The concept of a "clean" room is foreign to our boys, but they worked hard to make their rooms presentable. This is what I found. Oh, and I should mention that Jake has named his room "The Man Cave".
This is a bookshelf that Grams was throwing out. We decided to put it in Jake's room. Jake organized it himself.
And I guess, I might as well show the other shelf in his room. He now has a place to store his lego creations and other collections. What is it with boys and their "collections"? I try to avoid looking in this general direction, unless I am looking at Jeff's painting of the Tetons and Mormon Row in Jackson.
This is Lander's room. When I saw this, I nearly fainted. Messy is the only word that I would use to describe his room. I'm not sure what got into him, but I like it! I should also mention the beds. Grandma Nala made the boys these bedspreads and pillowcases last year. They love them. They look really nice!
Lander has a little drawing station sitting next to the green chair. It looks like their are only 15 sheets of paper left. Not sure why, but I couldn't help but chuckle when I saw this.
This is Lander's "Kitty Fort". (Don't ask.) He always seems to have some sort of fort or project set up in his room. This is one of the main reasons that we separated Jake and Lander into different bedrooms. Jake didn't always appreciate the plethora of projects.
And just in case you aren't bored enough, here's a little self portrait that I took. What great photography. Do I detect a career change? :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I like your tv on the dresser! It'll be easier for you to watch it in bed laying down now. And very impressive with the boys. I can't wait till I have boys that pick up instead of just throwing things on the floor

Nalene said...

AWWWESSSOOOOME!So impressed! Tell those boys to keep it up!

Keri said...

You know you're not an underachiever, right?! Loved the post & your self-portrait.

I still really want to come visit you sometime.