Jake officially joined the surgery club yesterday after he had a lymph node removed from his armpit. What's the surgery club? It means that after you have surgery you get to have pizza and ice cream. Chocolate makes everything better, right?
It was kind of fun, in a weird sort of way. I got to go back to the OR and start him on his anesthesia. There was something profoundly satisfying as I squashed the face mask onto his face and watched his eyes roll back as he fell to sleep. What?!? I'm only being honest here! :)
Here is Jake just after he woke up, cuddling "Fluffy" the stuffed animal given to him in pre-op. Make sure you notice the IV in his hand. He made sure that the picture showed it. Somehow that was more exciting that having a tube shoved down his throat and his armpit cut open.Here's his incision. It's a little more than an inch. Internal stitches and a little glue to hold it together.
Not too bad.
The surgeon was ahead of schedule and he recovered really well in PACU so from start to finish, we only had to stay at the hospital for a little more than 2 hours. Jake was a real trooper. Two hours and two thousand dollars (that is what I am expecting our portion of the expense will be), talk about a bargain!
No I am not high. That was sarcasm for those of you wondering if I am stealing his pain meds.
3 comments:
What'd he need his lymph node removed for? Looks like he handled things well. Chase had surgery when we were living in SLC and for me, watching those eyes roll back and him go limp was a bit of a shock but the funny (okay I must be a bad mom for thinking this is funny) part was the pain was just enough to keep him sitting still in one spot on the couch at home the entire rest of the day! We knew we'd never witness it again...
Wow, Jake you are so brave!!! I'm glad to hear it went so smoothly, and how cool that you got to help in the beginning. And you guys are such a fun family, look at all these adventures you've been going on! I love it!
We are happy to hear that Jake is ok and what a gnarly scar that is!
I'm glad you enjoyed putting Jake out ;)
I think thats kind of cool though that they let you be involved because of you being a nurse.. Think of what a comfort that must have been to Jake as you were the last person he saw when going to sleep!
Glad the sugary went quick! How soon do we find out the results of why the lymph node was swollen in the first place?
Post a Comment