Thursday, October 3, 2013

Butchart Gardens

Lander, Dixie and Jake at entrance 

One of Dixie's "Must See" items was visiting Butchart Gardens. The epic storm took a gracious pause and we had sun, glorious sun!

Butchart Gardens were built between 1904 and 1929 by the Butchart family near their home. Parts of the garden fill in the old limestone quarry that they used for their concrete business.

("Smile Jake. I mean it. I want good pictures.")











Acres and acres - 55 to be precise - of gardening and gorgeous plants. Dixie was in heaven. The boys? Not so much. After all of our other adventures, this one was shall I say, "less appealing" to the youngsters. It took a bit of reminding that everything doesn't always revolve around them.

Lander, overlooking the "Sunken Garden" that fills in the old limestone quarry.
Shocking, I know.

It was a little hard to take. 
For the kids, too.

But, eventually we had smiles and everyone got into the gardening groove.
It helped when we stumbled upon this little gem. Jake is currently in a "Japanese" phase so he was excited to find out that they have a Japanese Garden and suddenly the adults couldn't keep up with the kids.
Jake, Lander and Josh at entrance to Japanese Garden
The Japanese Garden was very beautiful, and lots of fun. The boys especially liked all of the paths, hidden nooks and colorful bridges.
The gardens border a beautiful little cove. Pictures can't even begin to do it justice.


No comments: