Saturday, October 1, 2011

USS Midway

We toured the USS Midway while in San Diego. It is a retired aircraft carrier. 
The boys LOVED it. 
Jake was making another one of his silly faces for the camera. That boy!
Lander is laying on one of the bunks for the enlisted guys. Roomy, huh? It consists of a 2 inch thin mattress on a metal storage locker, with three bunks stacked on top of each other. Two sets of bunks form alcoves so that 6 guys share the tiny space that has maybe 6 square feet of walk space. The officer's bunks were a bit better. More room, fluffier mattresses, but still crammed into a small space. The higher the rank, the roomer & more "posh" the lodging.

Note to self...if I ever find myself in the Navy, make sure I'm an officer, preferably one with a higher rank.
 This is a picture of an A-4. Josh's grandpa flew one of these beasts. 
So sad, but this is one of the few family pictures we got on the trip. What were we thinking? We are standing on the tower overlooking the flight deck.
Who's the BOSS? Lander knew exactly what chair he wanted. The Boss is the person responsible for the crew that coordinates the planes landings, etc.
 This is a pretty typical example of the hallways that line the ship.
View from the flight tower on the flight deck. It's huge! (San Diego in the background.)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Alan would be extremely jealous! That looks like it was so much fun.

Dixie said...

I think Alan would LOVE it. You'd have to give him an entire day there, though ;)

Keri said...

I knew your boys would love it. It's so cool, huh! The bunk spaces make me feel claustrophobic. We didn't go up on the tower, either. If I remember right, there was a long line when we were there, so we skipped it.